www.flickr.com

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ventriloquist Ray Alan who created Lord Charles dies. Rare footage on this video.

Alan was inspired to create Lord Charles (family motto: Semper Inebriate) in 1960, while watching a drunken aristocrat in the audience at the Satire Club off Jermyn Street. "I saw this chap sitting at a ringside table," Alan recalled, "dinner suit on, delightful young lady with him, and there he was patting her knee and pouring her champagne and saying: 'By Jove, you lovely thing, oh you lovely little thing.' And I thought what a wonderful character. But I couldn't find a face for him."

On his office wall, however, was a photo that Alan had been given by Laurel and Hardy after performing with them at a cabaret in 1954 (during the duo's last tour): "I looked at Stan Laurel's face and thought: 'That's the face I want.'"

Posted via web from poobumwee's posterous

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with your blog. It seems like some of the text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a problem with my web browser because I've had this happen before.
Thank you

My blog post treatment for toenail fungus