www.flickr.com

Monday, December 17, 2007

Smokers Welcome 364 Days a Year in Adelaide

Adelaide could become the first smoke-free city in the world, under proposed legislation to be debated in state parliament next year. The Tobacco Products Regulation (A Smoke-Free Adelaide) Amendment Bill 2007 would ban smoking in Adelaide for at least one day of the year, with maximum penalties of $200 to go to the Cancer Council. The bill is being put forward by Opposition police spokesman David Ridgway and will be introduced to parliament on February 13 next year. "This legislation would not be about punishment but an opportunity for Adelaide citizens to experience a day without smoking," Ridgway says. "Community involvement is the cornerstone of this bill and in turn, I hope that the whole city will reap the benefits." The bill was released for public comment yesterday.

Smokers in South Australia must feel very put upon. Not content with banning smoking in public transport, offices, pubs, clubs, restaurants, cars with young children and other public places.... now we are to have a token smoking ban throughout the whole city. Don't get me wrong, I am a virulent anti smoker, but this just seems a little too much. I mean some of my work mates smoke, but they don't impose it on me. I can live with that.

2 comments:

SouthOzBloke said...

I was talking to the publican at the Crown and Anchor in town the other day and asked him how business had been since smoking inside pubs has been banned.
Since the Cranker was usually chockers with smokers I expected him to say business had dropped. Intead he said business had never been better due to a lot of non-smokers dropping in or coming back.

jmb said...

It's interesting how things have changed in the past twenty five years regarding attitudes to smoking.

I can't see how they can enforce this since they won't know if you are smoking in your own home.

It's only when I go abroad that I realize how few people smoke here and appreciate it all the more when I return.