www.flickr.com

Friday, August 24, 2007

No Bulls Were Hurt in the Writing of this Blog Post


Spain's national broadcaster has dropped live bull fights from the schedule, because they are considered too violent. Bull fight aficianados will have to watch it on private channels. This reflects the end of an era for the broadcaster, with bull fighting being the first programme shown on the station.

In Australia, some people are still angry about the ABC, the national broadcaster here, giving up live cricket. Sport and culture, the links are very strong.

8 comments:

jmb said...

They don't have cricket on the ABC? Is it on Fox or some private channel?
Amazing. What's the world coming to?
regards
jmb

Colin Campbell said...

No. The cricket is shown on Channel 9 ala Kerry Packer for home games. The ABC showed one test in the last few years, when it clashed with Footy or something like that. The Ashes in England were shown on SBS. Other cricket ends up on Fox. The ABC still has the radio contract for home series and some overseas stuff. It is also on the internet.

David Oliver said...

Looks like it is now a world wide effort to stamp out anything perceived as cruelty to animals. Nevermind you can view the most vicious attacks of animals by animals on TV, it is perfectly alright for pet stores to feed rabbits to snakes and companies to raise animals in cages for food for humans. Maybe it is time for a reality check.

River said...

I just wish Spain would stop those silly running with the bulls events.

phishez said...

I must admit, I was fascinated by bullfighting as a kid. I think all kids are. But when I grew up and found out they tortured and killed the bull... I think its repulsive.

And every time you hear about a guy getting gored fighting bulls, or during the running, I give a cheer.

James Higham said...

Ah - the Ashes. Now there's a blood sport.

CityUnslicker said...

I went to a Bull fight once; not my favourite experience ever...

Misty said...

I agree with the person above who wrote that they cheer when the bull attacks the person. I hate bullfighting because it is so very cruel and inhumane!