www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

George Cowling - The BBC's First On Air Weatherman


Studio facilities and technology available to the forecasters were extremely primitive and provided little in comparison to the vast quantities of instantly-accessible data churned out by today's hi-tech instruments, many of them in orbit above the Earth.
In Cowling's pre-space age, forecasters occupied a cramped corner of an announcer's studio at BBC Lime Grove, producing "graphics" comprised of two hand-drawn weather charts fixed to an easel with drawing pins. To add to the charts during a broadcast, the forecaster was equipped with a squeaky charcoal pencil.

2 comments:

TED said...

Great image, I wonder whether they still use the technology, it feels like it in the UK... Scotland is really bearing the worst of the weather again, we had snow in Cheadle for 5 days. Thats new for me!

Nice site by the way, you should add your blog to The Expat Directory. Its an online directory/resource for expatriates, I think our users would find your blog interesting.

Have a great New Year, wishing you the best of health to you and your family

Kind Regards,

Ted

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I may like this web site.

He was totally right. This submit truly made my day.
You cann't consider just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

my weblog; Patra Bali Resort Indonesia