www.flickr.com

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Carnival of Australia Number 6

Welcome to the July 18, 2007 edition of Carnival of Australia. This is the sixth carnival and we are continuing to grow. Carnival of Australia is the featured blog carnival this week, so welcome new visitors.


So why is a crazy Scotsman doing Carnival of Australia? Obviously I have way too much time on my hands. For those interested in my Haggis Leaning side, I have just completed the Scottish Blog Roundup, so if I lapse into celtic teuchterisms, incoherent ranting and gross sarcasm, you will know why. I will just take off my kilt put on my Aussie hat and dive into the surf Mates!



I found this interesting map of Australia on Strange Maps. It is a proposal for the administrative make up of Australia from 1838. I wonder if Australia would be different now if this had been implemented.

It is election season here in Australia, so we will start by wading right into non confrontational territory Check out these home made Aussie Election Ads.

Gavin R. Putland continues the political theme with Howard for Nobel Prize in Economics posted at /etc/cron.whenever/ saying, "Yes, it's a joke -- with a serious side." Phew glad about that.

Yesterday in the Australian, Nicholson had a brilliant animated cartoon about Howard Yesterday Man. I know I know, I shouldn't be wading into politics, not least because I can't vote. I am an Australian Permanent Resident (for the period that I don't lend my SIM card to anybody with malicious intent). When I was in America, I left two full mobile accounts for somebody to use. I may yet end up in Guantanamo. Where have all our rights gone Mr Ruddock?



I laughed at this cartoon of Brendan Nelson and his honest but apparently incorrect assessment of the Iraq Occupation. Well who would have thought that there was a hidden agenda.




Again in the non confrontational department, Roger presents his ringing endorsement of the Tasmanian Governments endorsement of the proposed pulp mill (sarcasm alert) in Tassie Pulp Mill Approval 2007 – NOT one for the CV. Wow! These guys are full on. I suspect it is one of those follow the money type stories. Interesting that this has not been picked up too much on the mainland. If this was suburban Sydney or Melbourne, it would be in the press every day. Roger's suggestions for tags (corruption, climate change, satire, dumbockracy..) give you some idea of where he is coming from.



Ever one to tread lightly on sensitive issues, Roger had originally planned to have this post on the Howard Governments plans for Aboriginal Communities as his post, but it was not complete at the time of submission. I hunted it down and included it anyway.

I included it as another perspective to this excellent post from Kirky, a Koori woman from New South Wales, who has strong opinions on the Howard Governments current plans for aboriginal communities. Here, she presents Pulling apart the spin... line by line, and lie by lie

I have also included this post, by Paul Canning, which she refers to and from which the image came from. An interesting perspective from overseas, although with the benefit of having lived in Australia for 15 years. The very resonant image seems to be how things are viewed from within much of the Aboriginal Community. These articles really speak for themselves and I shall stay out of it.

Public Service Announcement - That's It for Politics On to Some Interesting Stuff


For those of you financially inclined, Noric Dilanchian presents Revenues and stock values of Google and eBay in context
Information technology markets are globalising faster than most. Yet Australia is falling further behind. This is illustrated by focusing on the loss of internet advertising revenues to Google and others, the lack of major Australian global IT companies and the gap in venture capital between Australia and the United States.

This may seem a bit dry, but I think that it is important. Australia's internet infrastructure is medieval and it is no wonder that our internet companies struggle. Apparently we are up there with Kazakhstan in available broadband speeds. Some kind of very large investment in internet infrastructure will happen in Australia regardless of who is elected. Telstra and another consortium are vying for the rights to the lucrative portion of the market, serving the Cities. The rest of the country will have some patched up Fraudband Alternative.

Megan Bayliss who blogs at Imaginif presents I Had a Fight with Husband so I Hit my Kid.

Bloggers who confront difficult personal and potentially painful areas for many parents are to be admired. My mum was an expert with the flying hand and I have inherited some of that. I need to take a breath from time to time. This is especially true this week, being at home with my kids. I enjoy it, but they certainly know how to wind each other (and me) up.

Again Megan Bayliss,
blogging this time at Home Schooling Aspergers presents Circus Goes Back to School.

This post reminds me about the challenges of home schooling. Next Monday I can just pack the kids into the car and drop them off at school. Not so easy for a home schooling family. My best friend in America and his wife are still homeschooling their fifth through eighth kid. That is a major life choice.

And the last post from the Bayliss family is from Sue Bayliss, a sufferer of Dystonia. Sue has an interesting blog called Spasmodic Dysphonia. In Dystonia, Home Sweet Home she updates readers on her current status and increases awareness about this medical condition.

Craig Harper runs a very High Energy Personal Improvement Blog. Here he presents a post that sounds like a Physics Lecture. It is not an area that I am familiar, but that is certainly no reason to avoid The Law of Attraction should be renamed The Law of Distraction

I personally think the LOA should be re-named the Law of Distraction (as the title of my article suggests) as it (in my opinion) actually distracts people from change principles which actually work."
Laurie Joyce blogging at Midlife - A Journey, presents an interesting post called Perceptions.

Study had a profound effect on my curiosity, I yearned to know more and I enjoyed the way my perception of things was changing. When I read this post I wondered when that curiosity became stifled, when the boy’s excitement became the man’s practicalities. Have I really gotten to the point where the wonder of the bush has left me, or has it just been cloaked in responsibility and shelved because the pressures of marriage and fatherhood intervened?


I think that we could all learn from Ruby of Advice and Rants, who presents Everything is Transitory.

This is so true. Ruby's message is basically, that things will change. If they are bad, they will likely get better. If they are good, enjoy it while they are. Be patient when things are tough and enjoy it when things are good. I generally have a hard time with overly upbeat motivational stuff, but this message is a good one.

And you thought that you could avoid that book, here, but no such luck. John Lampard from Disassociated.com presents What bloggers can learn from Harry Potter.

My one piece of advice is to resist the temptation to write about it. There will be major overload of the sensory system for about a week when the book comes out. Do your bit to reduce the intensity and just say no. I enjoyed the films with the kids and have probably seen them in their entirety in 1 minute and 10 minute sections in between doing chores.


My dad is an artist, so I was interested to read the next article by Susan Borgas. It is a step by step presentation of the development of a painting called Water's Path - Willochra Creek. My dad was intensely private about the creative process and it is refreshing an artist willing to share their craft in a practical way.

My work as a realist artist does promote the Flinders Ranges and hope that viewers of my work will consider visiting this region. There is nothing like sitting under a gum tree with a cool drink in one hand and a camera or drawing tool in another along with some flies for company. What more can anyone want!

Well let me tell you, you can keep the flies. I have only ever been to the Flinders Ranges once in a plane piloted by my brother in law. We landed on a bush strip after flying from Adelaide, saw some emus, kangaroos and some scrub and then flew home. Small plane flying is a unique experience after my many years of jetting around the world on flying buses.



Laurie Joyce, featured earlier, also maintains Sunrays and Saturdays -An Ordinary Life. Here he presents the deep and meaningful post of the week, Space is Big.

From Journal 1 – 02/03/1982

“….really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it it. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist, but that’s peanuts to space…”

Douglas Adams, The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, p.62


Laurie wades into the why are we here debate? I am definitely in the no idea department, but Laurie certainly poses some interesting questions. Enough to keep us entertained until the next Carnival of Australia.

If that is not enough, may I recommend some practical homework in the area of astronomy provided by Professor Onyx Stone, our token Kiwi. Don't let it be said that I don't maintain a Broad Church.

That concludes this edition of Carnival of Australia. Submit your blog article to the next edition of

Carnival of Australia

14 comments:

Loz said...

Well done on pulling such a broad range of things together Colin - I've linked back from both my sites.

Megan Bayliss said...

Oh Colin, mate. Please just make sure you've got jocks on before you pull the kilt off ey! With the plunging temperatures around Australia we probably wouldn't see anything but let's be careful anyway.

Well done on putting this together and thank you for being the host this fortnight.

It's great to see the diversity and welcome to our New Zealand neighbour.

Anonymous said...

H.F.!! Is this the Carnival of Oz or the Carnival of OCD!!! Mega effort on the compilation and will post a (a hopefully) worthy cross-link to CoA6 shortly. Ony Colin, maaaaate, meatpie, bonza, armpits, footie, Holden, Bradman, spewin boganz. !!

James Higham said...

That's a pretty impressive post, Jocko, not least the tartan trousers. Tasmania in the north-west? WEhat sort of taking the piss is that? It's all rock and desert there.

Colin Campbell said...

Thanks It was a lot of work, but ultimately satisfying.

Excuse my Ozgnorance, but what is OCD?

Colin Campbell said...

TINA

Ha Ha Ha

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin.

Tis Kirky a KOORI from New South Wales, in Victoria they spell it with the E on the end.

Thank U very much 4 ya kind words & hostin Carival Oz.

Also the Link 4 Pulling apart the spin... line by line, and lie by lie haz gone belly up all I get iz an ERROR MESSAGE…

Here’s the Link: http://www.kirkyskraftsandchitchat.bigblog.com.au/post.do?id=154246

Sweet dreams

Colin Campbell said...

Hello Kirky

I fixed the name and the link had an appendage, which I have fixed. It works now.

Anonymous said...

yeah Lord Straf-Bilderberg, Tassie's in the extreeeeeeme north-west, just like Thailand is a loooooooong way south. :)

Anonymous said...

Many thanks 4 that Colin.

Sweet dreams...

Susan Borgas said...

Well let me tell you, you can keep the flies.

From experience flies are not much fun when swallowing one although they do stop kicking after awhile. wink!

Also thanks for letting me be a part of your carnival.... it is a great read.

_ said...

Hey, thanks for the tag.

Nice showing in the rugby, by the way. Trouble is, you Aussies sprung your surprise performance on the All Blacks a couple of months too early. We'll be ready for you now!

James Higham said...

Thanks, typingisnotactivism - my geography is continually improving.

Colin - OCD. We're not permitted to divulge that, I'm afraid, to Scots.

Generaly - OK I'm here in the middle of it, I'm enjoying it - now what the frig are we meant to do? Where's the beer tent?

fake consultant said...

regarding tasmania and pulp mills...

...tacoma, washington is famous for the smell of its pulp mill-so much so that if you look up "tacoma aroma" on google you get 83,500 hits (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=tacoma+aroma&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8).

do not believe the urban dictionary-the aroma still lingers in the summertime, and i suspect that unless this mill has better "scrubbing" than tacoma's the summer after the mill opens the new fragrance will become evident.