www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

North West Passage - The Last Frontier Opens for Business


European explorers spent centuries searching for a passage through the ice at the top of the world. The Northwest Passage, a shortcut to Asia, proved elusive until about 100 years ago, when Norway's Roald Amundsen completed a three-year journey.

These days, thanks to global warming and a receding ice cover, the voyage is easier to complete with the opening of the North West Passage due to melting ice sheets. Shipping time between London and Tokyo could be cut by a fortnight for at least part of the year.

The Northwest Passage is one of the most fabled sea routes in the world - a short cut from Europe to Asia through the Canadian Arctic.

Recent years have seen a marked shrinkage in its ice cover, but this year it was extreme, making passage fully navigable for the first time since monitoring began in 1978.

The ice-covered area has dropped to just around 3 million (m) sq km (1.2m sq miles), about 1m sq km (386,000 sq miles) less than the previous minima of 2005 and 2006.

There has been a reduction of the ice cover over the last 10 years of about 100, 000 sq km (38,600 sq miles) per year on average, so a drop of 1m sq km (386,000 sq miles) in just one year is extreme.

The Northeast Passage through the Russian Arctic has also seen its ice cover shrink and it currently "remains only partially blocked.


All we have to work out now is who is in charge, which is a real issue.

4 comments:

Ian Appleby said...

So let's see what the doom-mongers who reckon global warming is all bad have to say about that...

Colin Campbell said...

Yes quite a useful development for the world shipping industry. I imagine there is also great tourism potential.

Anonymous said...

I always emailed this website post page to all my contacts, for the reason that if like to read it afterward my links will too.


My web site best diet plan for women

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.



my homepage ... diet plans that work