www.flickr.com

Saturday, January 06, 2007

As the Embers Burn Out


There has been a wide variety of views around the internet

The Australian View

From After Grog Blog (Aussie Cricket Fanatic if ever there was one. Don't go here for sympathy if you are a Pom. It is relentless)

Dads Army 5 Duds Army 0

From the BBC Cricket Team



The English Commentators View (Self deprecating, humorous, zen like, despairing...)

"That was amazing," he says. "Pietersen going third ball has made me genuinely happy. As if all the pain, the lack of sleep, the humiliation, frustration, longing, anger, regret, bitterness, churlishness, and fear engendered by the last couple of months has vanished in one beautiful edge. I want to have a party. I want to kiss you all. I feel euphoric and free and weightless and joyous. I feel 17 again. It's my first kiss, my first sunset, my first steps rolled into one. Is anyone else feeling like this? I don't understand it but it has changed my life. Any Australians out there I pity you, because you will never experience the true euphoria of one who has hit rock bottom discovering that bottom is merely a door to another purer world. I am zen. I am cricket. I am the ball. I am love."

Comments from a Frustrated English Fan

The Tin Drummer said...

On the other hand - what is there to say? If I were a commentator, what _would_ I actually say?

"Welcome to the f***ing SCG, it's a f***ing rubbish day and E****** are f****** s***, going down by *** wickets again..."

Jeez man, what the hell are you supposed to say in the face of epoch making incompetence??? Given that it took my pathetic life savings to see 1998/99 I feel qualified to comment here - I love England but by God I hate cricket sometimes.

Australians also sledge and bat better

Pietersen to Symonds "Here comes the professional fielder" Symonds response, a match changing innings of 156.

Collingwood sledges Warne and Warne comes back with "An MBE for making 8 at the Oval", heard clearly over the stump cam on the radio commentary and a match changing innings of over 70.

Interesting that in the last Ashes series in England that it was a spinner (Warne off Pietersen), who "Dropped the Ashes". This time it was Giles (off Ponting).

In my office yesterday it was like communal last rights as huddles of my colleagues sat around the two television sets quietly enjoying the last moments of this Ashes series. I just enjoyed the last few moments of Kerry O'Keefe, the funniest commentator going.

Now on to the big bash and the tedious triangular series. I will have to find some other form of entertainment until March 14, when the cricket haggisbashers get their day in the sun in St Kitts and Nevis with the Australian One Day Team.

At least the Scots are good at sledging.

7 comments:

Shani said...

This takes me back to the summer before last here in England - where I remember standing before the big screen on the square outside my office, having to ask my colleagues what a silly mid-off was !! But at least I understand the meaning of a backstop nowadays... Best wishes and Happy New Year. Shani

Anonymous said...

sac Louis Vuitton [url=http://www.vuittonsachomme.fr]Louis Vuitton sac à main[/url] [url=http://www.louisvuittonpascher2.fr]Louis Vuitton sac[/url] hqavle

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do
it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks

Look into my web site ... Texasveteransforcongress.org

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I'm going through many of these issues as well..

My blog post http://smithsonian.mobilemuseums.org/youth-npm/pg/profile/PorterDCP?view=mobile

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was
wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!

My site :: http://www.buildethiopia.org/

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button!
I'd without a doubt donate to this excellent blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and
adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this
website with my Facebook group. Talk soon!


my web page :: all inclusive vacation alaska

Anonymous said...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procaine thrust flippant emulation news nanny kills children lausanne movement guitar tuning Louis Vuitton Outlet Belt # cheap louis vuitton bosphore backpack symphony of lights smothered pork chops recipe transcriber download mini fridge tartuffe sombrero country club mens bags leather freemasonryinbermuda.com # intricately shrug emoticon memorialize definition survive knives persevere covert affairs Wednesday