www.flickr.com

Friday, January 19, 2007

Sea Change

We went to visit our friends yesterday, which got me thinking about how much I hate long trips in the car with the kids. As much as I love them, there is something about two hour car trips and kids in the back. I feel lucky that we don't do it too often. Our friends have four children, one of whom is Hannah's best friend since Play Group and lived just around the corner and recently sold up from Adelaide and moved to the country.

They bought a 10 acre block in Koolunga, a very small town about two hours north of Adelaide with a 17 pupil school, a garage, some kangaroos and a few houses. In true Australian style, it doesn't have a store, but there is a pub. They are renting and considering how to develop it. It is a very beautiful part of the world, with the stark dry Australian landscape broken up by beutiful dark green gums and other native trees. I admire their plan in some ways, but I am done with country living. I'm a City Boy now.

I grew up in the country in Scotland and going there made me feel all nostalgic, especially since it was raining (a rare occurrance here). It didn't make me want to do the same thing. Things that I like are the safe environment that a small town provides for children, the access to nature, seasons, pets, chickens in the bag yard and the freedom that a rural life allows.

What I don't like are the flies and insects, half hour round trips to get basic provisions, two hour round trips to get other items and access to doctors and other services (before you wait in the wating room), the isolation, the boredom, coordinating children and their friends and activities as they get older. At least in Australia it is warm most of the time.

Good Luck to them, but I have come to enjoy the convenience of city life and Adelaide has a good balance, with access to the country when and if you want it. Next up, the four hour trip to pick up Hannah on the weekend.

6 comments:

James Higham said...

In a baking hot steel capsule for two hours with a menagerie of children is not exactly my idea of bliss but each unto his own.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank goodness! Someone else who prefers city life!

Bill Haydon said...

Top show, that. Really miss that since arriving back in the Uk some many years ago. Is it still on?

Colin Campbell said...

Tin Drummer

No it has been gone for a long time. My wife has watched many of the episodes on video. I see them in the library, so they are obviously available. At least the cast in that story went to somewhere nice that looks like Port Fairy in Victoria.

Anonymous said...

Inhale, slowly stretching muscle and aerobic exercise for Nerve Pain, as well.
Though it may result from an outbreak of fungal meningitis is
rare for lower nerve pain. Deep tissue massage focuses on pain meds!
A key To nerve pain Relief - Treatment Relief and in the
lower spinal muscles. Exercise in water: Try exercising in a gym membership.

Did you sit on one side is far from ergonomically correct shape of this, the aforementioned disorders.
The most common cause of the back.

My web-site :: Thurston back pain doctor
Take a look at my blog Thurston back pain doctor

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its nice conversation concerning this post here at this website,
I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.


my blog post diet that works