www.flickr.com

Monday, August 20, 2007

Wootton Bassett attempts to get to Wembley


I have decided to tip the English Premier League for interest this year. I am not doing very well, which is not too surprising since I have not been following it much since we left Singapore. It is pretty popular here in Australia and gets time on the late night sports reports. I was looking at some results and noted that the FA Cup was just getting going with the FA Cup Qualifying Matches being played. It is a true community event, with these matches long forgotten when we get to the business end and when we get those Didier Drogba moments.

All those small community teams made up of working people having a shot to get to Wembley and a bit of glory. OK, pretty unlikely, but fantastic all the same. I just love some of the names.

FA Cup Qualifying

Biggleswade Town 1-3 Concord Rangers (at Bedford Fc)
Billingham Town 6-1 Eccleshill Utd
Corsham Town 5-1 Wantage
Eton Manor 3-1 Colney Heath
Highworth Town 0-0 Wootton Bassett Town
Lancing 1-1 Faversham Town
Lymington Town 4-1 AFC Wallingford
Sporting Bengal Utd 0-0 London APSA

more

Here is the story of the Highworth Town versus Wootton Bassett Town match.

Wooton Bassett itself, is a small town of about 10,000 people in Wiltshire, west of London with a population of around 10,000. I wonder how many were at the match?

3 comments:

James Higham said...

Try Kidderminster.

Crushed said...

Interestingly James, I have seen Kiddermister Harriers play.

Their keeper got red carded.

Anonymous said...

I drop a leave a response whenever I like
a post on a site or I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation.
It's triggered by the fire communicated in the post I looked at. And after this article "Wootton Bassett attempts to get to Wembley". I was actually moved enough to create a thought ;-) I actually do have some questions for you if it's allright.
Is it simply me or do some of the remarks come across
like they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you
are writing on additional online social sites, I would like to follow you.

Would you make a list all of your community
sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?


Feel free to surf to my website :: Play Batman Games