www.flickr.com

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Not Even This Funny Ad Will Get Me To Drink VB

An Orchestra of VB (Very Bad) Beer Playing Musicians. Very Clever.

I just wonder how many people would change from drinking a good beer to a bad beer based upon a cute or clever advert. When I was in Singapore, VB was extensively promoted and I often drank it, not realising how bad it was. Not as bad as Fosters, which was extensively promoted in the UK as an All Aussie Beer during the 1980s. I was even more surprised that people accepted Budweiser in the UK and that it was on tap in bars with otherwise very good beers.

Oh the power of those marketing guys.

6 comments:

lady macleod said...

Philistines! sneaky, effective, Philistines, but knackers none the less.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I won a slogan compettion in which the prize was can't-remember-how-many cans of Budweiser once! I can't, fortunately, remember my slogan either. But I do remember I sold the cans to a neighbour and bought Cointreau and gin on the proceeds!

Colin Campbell said...

I would definitely do the same. Ghastly stuff.

Ed Charles said...

Here! Here! The proprietary Vividas media player and the orchestrated viral campaign also annoys me. Go micros...

GP said...

Aargh! What have you done to me?! I'm almost tempted by the horrid stuff.

I also liked the fact the media player suggests you "send to a mate" ... now there's an authentic aussie touch.

It's still not as good as the cadbury's gorilla tho'

fake consultant said...

it seems to me the question of whether this is "bad" music would depend on whether you had been drinking at the time you saw the commercial.

under the right circumstances it could seem entirely better...but that could be a sign to maybe drink a bit less, no?